“Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it.” – Buddha
Happy Valentine’s Day!
While I don’t have a sweetheart this year, I am still so ready to celebrate. Today marks the beginning of Random Acts of Kindness Week (February 14-20, 2016)! Read about it here. A whole week of making kindness visible to others — making it a priority. How cool is that? Obviously it would be ideal if we didn’t need to designate a week because we do it every day, but it’s a start.
Want to take the pledge with me and close to 4,000 people from 19 countries? You can do that here.
Here are just a few of their suggestions/ideas for random acts of kindness:
– Pay it Backward: buy coffee for the person behind you in line.
– Compliment the first three people you talk to today.
– Send a positive text message to five different people right now.
– Donate old towels or blankets to an animal shelter.
– Surprise a neighbor with freshly baked cookies or treats!
– Let someone go in front of you in line who only has a few items.
– Encounter someone in customer service who is especially kind? Take an extra five minutes to tell their manager.
– Smile at five strangers.
– Send a gratitude email to a coworker who deserves more recognition.
– Practice self-kindness and spend 30 minutes doing something you love today.
– While you’re out, compliment a parent on how well-behaved their child is.
– Leave a kind server the biggest tip you can afford.
– Everyone is important. Learn the names of your office security guard, the person at the front desk and other people you see every day. Greet them by name. Also say “hello” to strangers and smile. These acts of kindness are so easy, and they almost always make people smile.
– Put your phone away while in the company of others.
– When you hear that discouraging voice in your head, tell yourself something positive — you deserve kindness too!
If you come up with other ideas, please share. I’ll try to share some pictures if I come up with anything unusual.