– Mark Twain’s Adventures of Huckleberry Finn was published for the first time.
– Grover Cleveland replaced Chester Arthur as President of the United States.
– The first issue of Good Housekeeping went on sale.
– Sitting Bull joined Buffalo Bill.
– Bicycle playing cards were introduced.
What do these events have in common? 1885. The year my grampa was born.
December 3, 1885.
Here he is holding me before my baptism.
And here he is wearing my favorite Christmas sweater. The same sweater I wore to work today.
We were luckier than most to have him with us for almost 106 years.
And, almost more incredibly, we’ve been without him for more than 20 years.
Today I hold onto his sweater, his last bottle of Old Spice and a few photos.
It’s amazing how often I still think about him…even now. Especially around his birthday.
I wonder if he knows how we’re doing…if he’s okay with how our lives have turned out…if he knows my boys.
I sure hope so. I think he’d like them.